Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ding Dong Cake

1 box pudding type cake mix
1 c. milk
4 tbsp. flour
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
  • Bake cake according to directions on box, using a 9"x13" pan.
  • Combine milk and flour.
  • Cook until thick, then cool.
  • Mix butter and shortening for 4 minutes.
  • Add sugar and vanilla and mix 4 more minutes.
  • Add flour mixture and beat 4 minutes more.
  • After it cools, slice in half horizontally and spread with filling.
  • Replace top layer of cake or you could bake it in a bundt pan and then slice in half horizontally and scoop some of the cake out of middle. I've seen it both ways.
  • Cover with icing. (recipe below)
ICING:
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. cocoa
Add powdered sugar until thick

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! My character LOVES Ding Dongs and is very upset Hostess went out of business! So happy to have found your Ding Dong cake! Is it kind of like Ding Dongs? May I reference it/you in my next book, Daylight Dawns on Delilah Dunnfield? www.victoriathurman.com You can write to me through my website. :) Victoria

    ReplyDelete